Monday, February 11, 2013

Halfway Perfect Playlist: Part 1

Mark Perini: Kk
1:38 PM me: I was thinking about the playlist for Halfway Perfect today....how about I pick a song and explain why I picked and then you do the same and will integrate them into one list? Maybe we'll just pick 3 songs each today?

9 minutes
1:47 PM Mark Perini: Perfect yeah I like this game...

12 minutes
2:00 PM me: okay, what's your first song choice for Alex and Eve's story?
2:01 PM Mark Perini: I think for me it's Incubus Warning... Because Eve is really complex and she tries to tell Alex and she really struggles and she wants this new start and a second chance
2:05 PM me: oh....I like that story behind the song story.
 Mark Perini: Yeah it's a lot of layers
  Plus it's a bada** song...
  BA!
2:07 PM me: Yes! so true. Okay, my first choice is My Oh My by Tristan Prettyman...it's more about Wes (the ex) than about Alex. Actually Wes' unwavering hold over Eve.
  I especially like this line "Just when I thought I was free
Knock, knock, the door is locked
But you still got a key"
2:08 PM Mark Perini: So he's kind of keeping her on the edge of her seat and manipulating his control?
  I like that
2:09 PM me: yeah, and even the simpler theme of not being able to let go of your first love
  okay, what's your next pick?
2:13 PM Mark Perini: Okay my next is Brand New I believe you but my tommy gun don't
2:14 PM It's about Alex in the beginning of the story it's all about him he's solo and a star
2:15 PM But it's also multilayered in the fact that he's what Eve needs
2:17 PM Favorite line is "im heaven sent,
dont you dare forget.
i am all you've wanted,
what all the other boys all promised.
sorry i told. i just needed you to know."
  Sorry about the bad grammar/formatting I copied it from an emo blog lol
 me: yeah, I like that. That totally nails Alex's character. he's confident but not annoyingly arrogant, and he's self reliant but that doesn't mean he'd can't be happy with someone.
2:18 PM Mark Perini: Exactly
 me: let's all blame the emo blog! awesome
2:19 PM okay my next pick is New York State of Mind...the Billy Joel version. And that's just a literal representation for Eve coming back to NYC and how much she loves it and what being a student at Columbia means to her
  not much layers in that choice I guess...lol
 Mark Perini: But still an awesome song and that's part of it too
2:21 PM me: okay, you're 3rd pick for today...?
 Mark Perini: Okay now my pure music pick is Intro by the XX
  There are no lyrics
2:22 PM But for me it's all about the ambiance of the song I could totally see them playing it at a chic lounge in NYC and just whisking you away to that place of coolness
2:23 PM And there is totally something mysterious about the song and I think Alex and Eve are attracted to each other because of their relative mystery
2:24 PM me: This is why I'm glad we're doing this together because I'm all about the lyrics and it's nice to have a different perspective. And I just listened to that song and it's really cool
 Mark Perini: Relative=Respective
2:25 PM I'm all about the music the lyrics are secondary I memorize the way a song sounds before I memorize the lyrics
2:29 PM me: I always memorize lyrics first.
2:30 PM Mark Perini: See I think that's a male vs female thing?
  That's why it's nice we have two perspectives on the story
 me: My 3rd pick is Jar of Hearts by Christina Peri. I know it's like 2 angry ex lover songs but Eve comes face-to-face with Wes after 2 years of being away from him and she has to deal with that before Alex really comes into the picture and I guess my song choices are going in order of the plot
2:32 PM Mark Perini: That's a good song as well there's always a bit of anger when it comes to past love...especially when it's as emotional as Eve and Wes and when it ends as unsettled as they did...
2:33 PM me: yes, totally. And I love that I have never heard of any of your song picks before. It's a really eclectic mix so far which is awesome, imo  You can listen to the playlist here but like our novel, it's work in progress so expect additions and changes.
Later,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment